The list of scenarios where you want to change ring doorbell owner is very long, doesn’t matter whether you are selling your house, decided to get rid of your ring doorbell, bought a used ring doorbell device. Transferring process is straightforward, but once removed, the device will become untethered, and you’ll be able to set it up as a new device.
If you aren’t much familiar with gadgets, you might get a few questions in your mind, such as how to change the ring doorbell owner? Can I do it without instructions? Or I need to contact someone from Ring to help? To know the answers to all these kind of questions, keep on reading.
How to Change Ring Doorbell Owner?
Before changing the ownership, you’ll need to perform a few steps to remove the original owner and cancel their plan. For this, the new owner must install the official Ring app to do the fresh configuration.
If you are the first owner, we recommend you remove your billing details to avoid any further billing. The steps to remove the payment method can’t be accessed through the app. Therefore, you’ll need to do it from the Ring website’s desktop version.
Follow the steps mentioned below to cancel the Payment Method.
- Open your normal browser and go to the Ring site.
- On the upper right corner, you’ll see a ‘Log in’ button. Click on it.
- Enter your log-in details.
- After you log in, your name will be on the top right corner. Tap on it.
- Next, go to ‘Account.’
- Look for your credit card and click on the ‘X’ symbol next to it to cancel the payment.
Furthermore, if you had subscribed for the long term plan, then we advise you to contact the support team to claim refund.
To Claim a refund, steps are as follows.
- Call them at 1-800-656-1918 (US number)
- Chat Support
- In-Person Store (Rare; only a few locations in CA or AZ)
- Contact Support through Ring App (The app offers phone and chat support.)
Before raising a refund request, you must bear the fact in your mind that, you will only get money back for the period you didn’t use your Ring subscription.
How to Delete Device from Account After Changing Ring Doorbell Owner?
You can remove/delete the old device once you finish with the aforementioned steps. Here’s how to do so:
- Launch the Ring app.
- Tap on the three-line menu on the upper left part of the screen.
- Then, click on ‘Devices.’
- Choose the device you want to delete.
- Next, click on ‘Device Settings’ and then ‘General Settings.’
- Finally, hit ‘Remove this Device.’
Quick Note: When you hit the “Remove this Device button”, every video and Event History associated with the account will also be deleted. Hence, we suggest you download and save all the important data before proceeding.
How to Remove Other Users From Ring Doorbell?
To enhance security, the manufacturer allows only one person to be the ring doorbell device owner. However, an owner can still grant access to other members.
Steps to remove users are:
- Launch the Ring app.
- Then, go ‘Settings.’
- Find ‘Users.’
- Tap on ‘Shared Users.’
- Finally, click on ‘Remove User.’
Steps to Reset the Ring Device
By Hard resetting, the original owner can completely flush the Wi-Fi settings saved in the unit. Though, this step isn’t mandatory until you don’t want to ruin your peace of mind. Being a first owner, if you don’t reset the device, then the second owner will face issues in resetting and accessing it. Additionally, you’ll owner will always get activity notifications whenever the new owner tries to reset it. To do this, you’ll need to follow these steps.
- Grab the device and remove the backplate.
- Then, press the orange button for about 20 seconds.
- Release the button.
- You’ll see the front of the device flashing. It means the device is performing a hard reset.
- Wait for the device to complete the process.
That’s all that you need to know before moving to a new house or to change ring doorbell owner. Do share your experience in the comments section below.